The video call feature in Fitbit Plus allows you to conveniently (and visually!) connect with your participants. Whether you're taking a look at a rash on your participant's arm or just checking in, a video call may reduce your need for in-person visits or enhance your Fitbit Plus messaging communication.
A few notes on video call functionality and criteria
- Fitbit Plus's video call feature is in beta, which means it's an early version of the feature and you may encounter unknown bugs or unexpected behavior.
- Participants must have the Fitbit Plus app open in order to receive incoming video calls
- Participants must have an internet connection (wifi or mobile data) in order to receive and engage in video calls
- Only coaches are able to schedule and initiate video calls
Compatible devices for a video call in Fitbit Plus
- Coaches may initiate video calls using a desktop or laptop computer (with webcam) or tablet
- Participants may accept video calls using Fitbit Plus's mobile app for iPhone/Android or iPad, or desktop or laptop computer (with webcam)
- For a full list of Fitbit Plus supported operating systems, browsers and devices, go here.
How to schedule a video call with your participant
- Open your participant's profile in your coach application and navigate to your participant's Calendar
- Select + new event to open a slideout event panel on the right side of your screen
- Change the Event Type to Video Call
- Complete the remaining calendar event details, including Title, Date, Start and End Time, and any other notes/info you may want to include. (In the notes section, you may want to include a reminder to your participant that he must have the Fitbit Plus app open at this time to receive your call, and he must also have a strong internet connection.)
- Scroll down in the event slideout and select Done to add the event to your participant's calendar
How to initiate a video call with your participant
- At the scheduled time of the event, open your participant's record in your coach application and navigate to the Messenger
- Tap the video icon at the top of the messenger
- If your participant has the Fitbit Plus app open on a compatible device, you will see a green phone icon to initiate the video call
If your participant does not have the Fitbit Plus app open, does not have a strong internet connection, or is using an incompatible device or browser, you will see a message that your participant is unavailable for the video call
- Once you've clicked the green phone icon to initiate the call, your participant will see an incoming call message, with the option to Answer or Decline
- If your participant has not previously given Fitbit Plus access to his camera and microphone, he will see prompts to do so at this time. Select OK
Voila! You and your participant are now engaging in a video call with Fitbit Plus!
PROTIP: You can continue to navigate through the participant's record while engaging in the video call. For example, if you want to to highlight certain successes or challenges you've noticed within the participant's health action plan(s), you can open his History view for reference while continuing with the video call.